The BA-CMCT Degree Programme provides students with a quality inter-disciplinary education that offers a unique blend of media theory and practice in association with communication technology, so as to nurture professional and versatile talents to confidently face challenges and opportunities in the age of rapidly developing digital media and communication industry. The increasing convergence of Communication, Computing and Content in the digital media evolution is the driving force that calls for a new generation of capable talents who possess both good technological ability and communication competence.
Based on a well-balanced curriculum, the BA-CMCT programme includes major study areas that cover modules in three key aspects:
- Master the basic technologies of interactive media, Internet communications and mobile platforms.
- Practice a variety of digital media production methods including sound, TV, video, desktop publishing, web-media and micro-film.
- Understand the human communication fundamentals associated with communication theories, intercultural communication, media law and ethics.
The BA-CMCT programme aims to develop students’ various capabilities:
- Work competently with the depth of communication knowledge and technological skills to begin professional practice in media-related industries, and/or to pursue postgraduate studies.
- Apply a body of relevant inter-disciplinary theories and practices to the development of interactive media and mobile applications.
- Pursue personal development and excellence with logical and creative thinking to solve a range of problems.
- Communicate effectively with users of new media at varying levels of technical proficiency in a global context.
- Reflect critically and ethically on convergent media practices with a strong sense of social responsibility.
- Possess basic understanding of a broad range of disciplines, encompassing general knowledge, social science, business and management.
Students are required to complete a total of 120 credits from a four-year curriculum consisting of Major Study modules, Common Core modules, Business Education modules and Elective modules.
|Study Areas||No. of
|Total No. of
|Total No. of
|1. Major Studies||18||3||21||63|
|2. Common Core Curriculum|
|i. General Education||5||2||7||21|
|iii. Quantitative Methods & IT Skills||2||2||6|
|3. Business Education||2||–||2||6|
|4. Free Electives||–||2||2||6|
With special emphasis on cultivating students to work effectively in the evolution of media convergence environment, the BA-CMCT programme combines several unique features:
- Technological Ability – mastering the new media technologies so as to strengthen the practice of a variety of digital media production methods.
- Communication Competency – having a solid grasp of the human communication fundamentals.
- Interdisciplinary Training – merging knowledge and skills in information and communication technology (ICT) with journalism and communication.
- Balanced Development – possessing multi-disciplinary learning abilities to develop all-round lifelong learning attitude and interests.
- Storytelling Specialty – applying new media tools and methods to the writing, conveying and sharing of news and information content.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs)
Upon completion of the BA-CMCT programme, students are expected to:
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of the theory and concepts underlying digital media, networks and communication systems.
- Use current techniques, skills and tools for the creation, production, editing and presentation of interactive media content.
- Analyse related issues or problems concerning media convergence, so as to identify and define requirements for the design of their solutions.
- Apply the technical knowledge and skills to provide solutions through exploring and integrating state-of-the-art technologies to accomplish goals related to the media industry.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of a system, process or component of interactive media on online and mobile communication platforms to support and promote convergent media practices.
- Recognise the importance of good management, coordination and cooperation and demonstrate relevant skills in group activities to meet targets or deadlines.
- Show the ability to communicate ideas and concepts clearly and logically in both oral and written forms.
- Discuss and explain the impact of media convergence in society from the perspectives of ethical issues and globalisation with cultural diversity.
Title of Qualification: Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Convergent Media and Communication Technology
QF Level: 5
Area of Study/Training: Mass Media and Communications, Journalism and Public Relations
Media nowadays not only reports social and political news, but also focuses on business, financial and economic news which is equally influential. Programmes offered by HSUHK’s School of Communication put emphasis on the financial field, not solely on political and social news.
- Dr. CHAN Yan Chong
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Management Sciences
- City University of Hong Kong
I benefited a lot from the Bachelor of Management Science and Information Management (Honours) programme. The training in information technology and logical thinking I received is very useful, helping me to tackle challenges promptly.
- Mr Wang Ka Chun
- BMSIM, Graduate
The tremendous efforts of HSUHK to promote sustainability is highly appreciated. It is hoped that conservation concepts could be instilled in the younger generation at an early stage.
- Dr William Yu
- Founder and Chief Executive Officer
- World Green Organisation