CMT2002 - Principles of Communication Protocols
|Year of Study:||2|
|Prerequisites:||CMT1002 Introduction to Internet and Programming|
This module covers the fundamentals of networking and protocols, with the emphasis on the multimedia communication. The characteristics and capabilities of available networking technologies in relation to transmitting multimedia data are studied. The topics covered include broadband networking based on Ethernet, TCP/IP network protocols, and multimedia and streaming protocols with RTP and RTSP.
Upon completion of this module, students should be able to:
- describe the concepts and functions of data communication, the framework of a computer network;
- identify the protocols used by multimedia applications;
- construct a simple TCP/IP network;
- use various network tools for network analysis and monitoring; and
- evaluate performance characteristics of different networking technologies for multimedia data.