FIN3009 - Financial Management for Journalism
|Year of Study:||3|
This module is an introduction to the elements of financial markets and financial management in the firm. Basic topics include: time value of money, debt and equity valuation, risk and return, asset pricing and capital budgeting. This module will also examine the role of mass media in the financial world and business journalism ethics.
Upon completion of this module, students should be able to:
- be able to understand the organisation and functions of financial markets;
- have acquired a solid working knowledge of the fundamental concepts and techniques used in financial decision-making;
- have acquired the knowledge and intellectual capacities to be an intelligent consumer of financial news;
- be able to understand the role of the mass media in the financial world and some of the ethical issues involved in business journalism; and
- be able to write simple business news stories and corporate press releases.