BJC3103 - Business and Financial News Reporting and Writing
|Year of Study:||3|
|Prerequisites:||BJC3101 Introduction to Business Journalism
or with the Instructor’s permission and upon endorsement of the relevant Chairperson and Programme Director
This module aims to provide students with basic training for covering financial news as well as the analysis of changes in current global markets. Students will also learn to cover stories on corporate finance, including the study of balance sheets and cash flow statements. Guest speakers from the business community will be invited to give talks so that students can gain a wider perspective of the business world. On-site training is also provided. Students will participate in media workshop, attach to a newsroom in order to gain real-life experience of business news production.
Upon completion of this module, students should be able to:
- identify and analyse types, ethics and purposes of Financial Journalism;
- create story ideas and plan for a finance news production;
- deploy principal types of business and financial writing skills;
- analyse the functions of financial markets; and
- apply news sources and the methodology on financial research.