BJC3101 - Introduction to Business Journalism
|Year of Study:||3|
|Prerequisites:||BJC1001 News Reporting and Writing in Chinese
BJC2001 News Reporting and Writing in English
or with the Instructor’s permission and upon endorsement of the relevant Chairperson and Programme Director
Business news is one of the important segments of journalism. This module aims to provide students with an understanding of the theoretical and practical issues of business journalism in addition to the introduction of basic business and financial concepts. Students will learn what types of business and financial events are worthy of coverage, how to interpret these events and how to write about them.
Upon completion of this module, students should be able to:
- understand the brief history and current trends of business journalism;
- identify financial & business events worthy of news coverage and the types of mass media for business reporting;
- illustrate the basic steps of generating a business news story;
- interpret economic data and explain the significance of the data for a general readership; and
- understand the ethical issues in contemporary business journalism.