BJC2212 - Intercultural Communication
|Year of Study:||2|
This module takes an approach to culture from a communication perspective. Students will learn how culture is shaped by communication and in turn, how communication is influenced by culture. A communication approach to culture will facilitate an accurate and useful understanding of the world and the people in it. The objective of such an understanding is a pragmatic one: to achieve mutual respect among diverse groups.
Upon completion of this module, students should be able to:
- explain the fundamental concepts of intercultural communication;
- describe the three approaches to studying intercultural communication.;
- illustrate the types of messages that are communicated nonverbally;
- explain the role of communication in the process of cultural adaptation.; and
- discuss some suggestions for dealing with intercultural conflicts.