AMS2020 - Financial Mathematics
|Year of Study:||2|
This module aims to provide an understanding of the fundamental concepts of financial mathematics, and how those concepts are applied in calculating present and accumulated values for various streams of cash flows as a basis for asset/liability management, capital budgeting, pricing, and valuation in financial management. Students are enabled to employ elementary measure of interest and calculate interest or yield on investment or loan. Students are also required to formulate practical problems using equation of value upon evaluation data.
Upon completion of this module, students should be able to:
- compute the present and future values of annuities;
- apply present value calculations to financial problems relating to loans;
- apply present value calculations to financial problems relating to bonds;
- analyse the term structure of interest rates; and
- apply the concepts of duration and convexity in asset/liability management.