TRA1001 - Principles of Translation
This module aims to help students acquire the fundamental skills of translating. It also examines the basic approaches to translation as an art and as a profession, teaches students how to use reference books and tools and studies translation criticism, text types and cultural issues.
Upon completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles and methods of translation;
- Communicate interlingually and interculturally with heightened sensitivity;
- Identify, analyse and resolve translation problems they encounter;
- Apply the linguistic, business and cultural knowledge acquired in other modules to performing translation activities;
- Appreciate the value and mission of translating in today’s world.