GEN2021 - An Inquiry of the Big Questions
|先修單元:||GEN1000 Perspectives on General Education|
Men from East and West have been asking and answering big questions, e.g., How do I know what is true? Does God exist? What ought I to do? Who am I? This module aims to provide students with a general understanding of philosophical responses to these big questions from historical and cultural perspectives. Starting from discussion on practical issues, students are required to read the primary texts of great thinkers in the East and the West with guidance. Thus this module helps students appreciate the study of humanities and the way in which it is relevant to daily life.
Upon completion of this module, students should be able to:
- describe the nature, methodology and scope of philosophy;
- identify the key big questions and answers;
- explain and critically evaluate various thoughts of great thinkers;
- develop their own arguments and answers to the perennial questions;
- engage in debate of the big questions in a rational manner.