GEN2019 - Human Rights and Ethics
The topic of human rights and ethics is practically important in the world nowadays. This module introduces to students the basic notion, meaning, historical roots, and practical significance of human rights. It examines different moral accounts of human rights and whether claims about human rights can be universally justified. Whether human rights are important moral foundations is also debated. At the end of this module, students should be able to strengthen their moral reasoning and rationally present their own views and interpretations on different claims about human rights.
Upon completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Describe the nature, method and scope of different philosophical accounts on human rights;
- Identify key questions and answers of human rights and ethics;
- Explain and critically evaluate various thoughts of human rights and ethics;
- Develop their own arguments and answers of the study object;
- Engage in debate of human rights in a rational manner.