GEN1012 - Culture, Media and Society
The module provides a broad overview of the key theories and debates concerning the relationship between media, culture and society. It enhances students’ awareness of the media and their influence on daily life.
Upon completion of this module, students should be able to:
- develop an understanding of key theories and debates concerning the relationship between media, culture and society;
- identify the strength and weakness of the technological, institutional, textual and user-based approaches to the understanding of media and culture;
- understand the cultural, social, political, historical and economic aspects of new media technologies;
- be critically aware of the significant issues concerning new media technologies in their own culture and society; and
- achieve a better understanding of how local identities are constructed in a globalizing world.