TRA1011 - Fundamentals of Interpreting
|Year of Study:||1|
This module is a beginners’ course in interpreting. Its aim is to equip students with bi-directional English-Chinese (Cantonese and Putonghua) interpreting skills through intensive and rigorous training in a language laboratory and the reading of books and papers written by scholars and veteran interpreters on the fundamental principles of interpreting.
Upon completion of this module, students should be able to:
- understand the approaches essential to becoming a professional interpreter;
- acquire the basic skills and knowledge about interpreting in both language directions;
- demonstrate an understanding of the different modes of interpreting;
- evaluate critically an oral communication performance; and
- assess critically their own aptitude in interpreting.