FIN4006 - Portfolio Management
|Year of Study:||4|
|Prerequisites:||FIN3003 Principles of Investment or with the Instructor’s permission and upon endorsement of the relevant Head and Programme Director|
Portfolio management is important to both individual investors who manage their own personal assets and investment managers who manage the assets of others. The module emphasis is placed on the analytical aspects of portfolio management and the decision making process to enable students to apply the established theories and models in the financial world. This module includes a hand-on portfolio project starting from beginning of the semester. Students are required to use financial assets databases and assigned software for data analysis in order to build basic skills in managing investment portfolios.
Upon completion of this module, students should be able to:
- develop the process of portfolio construction, management and protection;
- apply portfolio theory and pricing models to investment analysis and portfolio management;
- apply how investments such as international securities, property and collectables fit into a well-diversified portfolio;
- demonstrate a familiarity with the empirical studies and theories of efficiency in major financial markets;
- apply the process of security selection and revision; and
- evaluate the performance of a portfolio.